Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What's So Important About Faith, Love and Compassion

http://www.ted.com/talks/imam_feisal_abdul_rauf.html

I tried to get the video to embed, but it wasn't happening.  The link above should take you to the TED talk I discuss in this post.

Lately I’ve been running into the same concept in many forms and from many sources: compassion.  Whether it’s a Buddhist, an Atheist, a Christian, a Pagan or a Muslim, I’ve heard the same call for compassion from each of these sources over the last week.  That strikes me a bit coincidental.  I am the first to admit that my knowledge of the Muslim faith is not as inclusive as my study of the other viewpoints and it was a Muslim’s call for compassion that prompts this blog.  I encourage you to watch this 16 minute video on compassion as the rest of this blog refers back to several points he makes throughout the clip.
Imam Faisal Abdul Rauf begins by discussing elements of his faith for those of us who are less than knowledgeable.  He states that part of man’s purpose under Muslim faith is to follow the path of the prophet as closely as possible.  When he says prophet, he includes Jesus as well as Muhammad.  I admit, I had to stop the video because the idea of following the path of the prophet struck me profoundly.  I couldn’t reconcile how if this is the goal of the faith it could be so bastardized into something as ugly as suicide bombers.  It’s the same notion about crusades and killing doctors who perform abortions in the name of Christianity that bothers me.  I simply cannot put war and spirituality together in my mind.  I understand the need to defend one's self, but to go looking for trouble in the name of religion offends me deeply.  I definitely did not get the impression that Rauf would condone such actions in the name of Muslim faith; in fact, he cites the egotism as the barrier to compassion and peace.
For many reasons I agree that a self-centered approach to life is a barrier to compassion and to peace.  How can we possibly hope to see an issue from another point of view if all we concern ourselves with MeMeMe?    All major world religions teach this idea of compassion as far as I’ve been able to gather.  Even Atheism believes that compassion is a good quality and that we should follow the Golden Rule because to do so otherwise is just cruelty.  Why is it so difficult for humans to get this through our skulls?  Rauf would say it is egotism.  In the sense of an overblown sense of self-worth or importance—I agree.  I think the idea of fanaticism is borne of egotism.  Everyone wants to be important and to feel a sense of purpose in their life.  By preying on that need, fanaticism breeds and extends its tendrils into cultures.  Religion on the one hand offers a beautiful sense of camaraderie and belonging, but fanaticism distorts that fellowship until it is unrecognizable as a spiritual center.  Egotism is therefore the death of following the path of the prophet or in my case, the Wiccan Rede. 
Along with that notion,  Rauf raises the idea of the soul as a divine breath.  This concept parallels the concept of the Lord and Lady being within each of us.  If someone truly believes that the divine breath resides inside our souls, how can one turn their spirituality into harm?  I absolutely cannot figure that out.  Life is beauty.  Being among life is glorious.  Making the most of the life we are given is a gift.  So much ugliness exists in the world as it is why would an individual choose to add to it?  It seems to me that a far more noble life path would be to spread appreciation for all life –especially those with whom you disagree.  I am not always good at this.  It’s not easy and I am not saying give up your personal views and be a pushover to anyone else.  Do not be a creampuff!  However, listening and trying to understand other viewpoints opens us to compassion for others and what a lovely way to honor the divine breath?  At the very least, it should be clear to everyone regardless of their spiritual beliefs that to be compassionate is better than to be apathetic. 
I disagree with the supposition that humans are meant to be servants and glorify the prophet even though I appreciate that he says by whatever name you call him.  I think the idea of glorifying a deity and serving a deity helps fuel the fire of fanaticism.  I’m sure people will disagree with me, but consider this:  glorification means to hold up the deity as exalted or above others.  That hierarchy of power sets up a foundation for a power struggle over who is right and who is wrong.  It again puts deities above us and demands that we try and carve out a higher point for our God or Goddess over any others.  I honestly do not think world religions will ever come truly to accept that a Protestant God, a Catholic God, a Pagan Goddess or a Buddha are all the same face of one concept or several paths to the same goal because of egotism and thirst for power or dominion over others.  Seeing humans as servants or supplicants to a higher power seems to widen the gulf rather than to bridge it.  Clearly, that’s my opinion and it’s not my place to tell anyone else their path is wrong if it works for them and creates good in the world.
However, remembering to open ourselves to acknowledging the suffering of others and to looking for ways to ease that suffering, I think we make the world a little better.  It’s important to take a few steps back every once in a while to consider other viewpoints.  It helps us solidify and reason out our own beliefs.  Please consider these ideas, pray about them, meditate on them and if you are so called, please sign the Charter for Compassion.


2 comments: