Sunday, May 21, 2017

Armchair Paganism

Today was finally a mostly sunny and mild spring day. No sudden thunderstorm or gasp! snowstrom. I finally had a wee bit of energy too, so I went and cleaned out the flower/herb garden. I usually spend some of my Sunday contemplating things of a spiritual nature, and digging in the dirt seemed like a perfectly Pagan way of considering what's plaguing my noggin.
Image result for goat in dirt
That's right, Goat. Garden means fresh produce. Garden good.

I read an article "I'm an Armchair Pagan" by The Pagan Veil at Hearth Witch Down Under. I think I've been a huge armchair Pagan lately. OK, for like a few years. I do a ritual when I feel like it and I don't feel any guilt about skipping a full ritual in favor of a small remembrance or brief meditation. I suppose that's being an armchair Pagan. I don't much feel called to practice anything formal any longer. I just can't get too worked about it on a regular basis. This author truly seemed to feel as though something was lacking, though. She felt the need for more ritual and more connection. I don't. Being outside and weeding, and clearing mulch, and watching ladybugs, and chilling with our cats, and planting some tulips our neighbor gave us was enough Pagan points I think. I probably signed my fatigue warrant for the week, but the herb/flower garden looks beautiful.
Just you and me tomorrow, Zorak.

Another article I read about spiritual paths was entitled "Five Reasons You Can't Find the Right Spiritual Path" by John Beckett over at Under the Ancient Oaks. I seem to be a bit a like Siddhartha (Hesse), always searching for my path; exploring the ideas of spirituality has been an ongoing interest of mine. This article spoke to me for that reason especially given my recent discomfort with being called a witch or "baby" witch as some refer to my ilk. I seriously don't need the judgy thanks. Anyway, the points were: You don't know your core values, you're running from something, you expect perfection, you're looking for confirmation, and you aren't sticking with something long enough to see if it works. *sigh* In my case, I don't think any of those are true. If anything, I've solidified my core values over the last 20 years. This White House administration has helped set some things in stone as well. I'm not running. Rejecting, yes. Totally rejecting some things. Perfection? Ha! Nope. Not my thing. Nothing is ever perfect, so why should spirituality be any different? As for confirmation, well that's a bit of a puzzler. I don't think I expect the nature spirits or the Lord an Lady to come present themselves over tea. I did like this excerpt though:
This is really good. Wait for it, Raccoon. Wait for it.

Look within yourself.  Does your spiritual practice inspire you to live in harmony with other people and the rest of Nature?  Is it a source of encouragement instead of a source of fear?  Does it challenge you to live up to your values instead of doing what’s easy?  If it does, that’s all the confirmation you need. 
Totally down with that right, Gabriel?

The last point about not sticking with something is totally not applicable. I think I've given every path I've journeyed down plenty of consideration and participation. I just think armchair Pagan is as close as I can get to my Pagan leanings any longer. As a result, I took the spiritual path quiz on Patheos again. I took it long ago--far before I started studying Wicca and Paganism. I knew my views had changed since then, but how much I was not prepared for. Last time, it said a sect of Buddhism. I had to disagree at the time since the sect didn't believe in abortion and I totally did. My second highest suggestion was Pagan. Go figure. Now though, I got Secular Humanist. Not a shocker at all. 
OK, Owl, Take it down a notch. I sense your facetiousness from across the room.

Why am I so interested in defining this part of my life? I dunno. It's such a huge part of other people's lives I suppose. My family are staunch Catholics. I have friends who are Lutheran and Unitarian among others. Some are rigid, some are loosey-goosey. Most would think not attending church on Christmas and Easter is unthinkable. Others just don't care. It's a big issue in our culture though. For some, it drives their every decision. For some, they think we should all play by the same spiritual playbook. My favorites though are the ones who think they're open-minded until you mention being a Pagan. Then they furrow their brow and look at you oddly. 
Yes! Like that, Doctor. Exactly.

Last week, I had a guest in my class to teach my students how to write slam poetry. He started by performing two pieces. One of which began with the line "I don't believe in God." Talk about getting people's attention. Of course, the rest of his poem detailed what he does believe in and I found it powerful. I did have two students express concern about it though. One said that having come from a very religious upbringing that comment made him uncomfortable. Another student agreed. We agreed that it effectively got their attention, but they felt it colored their view of him. I encouraged them to see it from the perspective of art: We don't always agree with the image or the words, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be out there. We discussed how an artist never knows how an audience or viewer might respond to their piece, but with slam poetry it is all about as the guest said, speaking your personal truth. I think knowing where my truth lays makes it easier for me to guide and navigate conversations like this one. My spirituality is personal and meaningful in my laid back methods. I know what I believe and I don't feel offended or threatened when others view things differently. I have no overwhelming need to convert anyone. I do wish more people were like that so we didn't have so much conflict over who's right and who's wrong; who's going to heaven and who's going to hell; who gets to practice their religion and who gets banned because of their religion. Letting go and figuring out things for myself was the best choice I ever made.
Image result for moose alaska
Good job, Moose. You go down the road you choose.


No comments:

Post a Comment