Friday, August 9, 2013

Cat Day

August 8 a.k.a. International Cat Day
I love my cat children. They each have their quirks, their style, and their cattitude to make them distinct and individual. I am sure that if they caught wind of the sharks having an entire week while they have only one day dedicated to them, they'd be irate. Of course, they probably feel as though they do not need to have an entire week as they have been ruling the human race since the time of antiquity. I'm sure they think our observing a cat day is quaint and cute as they plot new ways to wrap around our ankle and trip us or scout for the next best place to hack a furball.
Despite this, I do adore the little feline domesticuses. As I pondered their roles in our household yesterday, I thought of a poem by T.S. Eliot. I loved discussing this poem. I would have a picture of Poof on the wall behind me and I'd tell the story of how he came to be known as Poofus Ferocicus (it was a Gladiator thing). Then I'd pop up a picture of Hissy and recount how she was like a Tasmanian devil in the cat carrier when I brought her home so she totally earned the name Hissy Fit. Lastly, I would show a picture of Link and describe how he came to us from the local rescue group. He was supposed to be quiet. He's not. He loves to talk and sing opera in the basement. Then I'd open the conversation to the group to share. It was always a lovely conversation and an enjoyable hour. I miss seeing it on my to do list in the spring. I share it with you now in honor of those furry, mischievous, cuddly, and fierce felines we all love to serve.
The Naming Of Cats by T. S. Eliot
The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
First of all, there's the name that the family use daily,
Such as Peter, Augustus, Alonzo or James,
Such as Victor or Jonathan, George or Bill Bailey--
All of them sensible everyday names.
There are fancier names if you think they sound sweeter,
Some for the gentlemen, some for the dames:
Such as Plato, Admetus, Electra, Demeter--
But all of them sensible everyday names.
But I tell you, a cat needs a name that's particular,
A name that's peculiar, and more dignified,
Else how can he keep up his tail perpendicular,
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
Of names of this kind, I can give you a quorum,
Such as Munkustrap, Quaxo, or Coricopat,
Such as Bombalurina, or else Jellylorum-
Names that never belong to more than one cat.
But above and beyond there's still one name left over,
And that is the name that you never will guess;
The name that no human research can discover--
But THE CAT HIMSELF KNOWS, and will never confess.
When you notice a cat in profound meditation,
The reason, I tell you, is always the same:
His mind is engaged in a rapt contemplation
Of the thought, of the thought, of the thought of his name:
His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

No comments:

Post a Comment