Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Escape

Last weekend I threw caution to the wind and ran for the hills. I had to unplug. I was spending too much time in front of the computer working. My eyes had glazed over. My laptop had begun to fuse with my quads. My right hand would continually search for a mouse that wasn't there as I tried to sleep at night. Poof had started headbutting me and looking at me with alarmed eyes until I would stop to do something other than type. I had to get away.
Getting away was a good thing. It gave me some much needed quiet time to contemplate the goodness in my life. My husband and I drummed and danced in the woods. I love that. We hiked up to a nearby waterfall and continued on past it as other hikers turned back to descend the trail. I love that natural beauty is so close to my home. I don't have to drive but an hour to find such blissful beauty. We met a delightful little baby dipper who positively entertained us both.
Isn't he the cutest little ball of fluff?


We even did burpees in the woods. We're hardcore. Don't know what a burpee is? You're lucky. I didn't know what it was the first time I heard the name mentioned in the house. When my hubby defined the term for me, I said, "Fuck that shit."
Honestly, I still think, "Fuck that shit." I mean, do you see what these things are? It's like my PE teacher from elementary school took all of my least favorite exercises and mashed them together in one complete torture maneuver.

Now I am somehow wrapped up in a 90 day burpee challenge that involves adding one more burpee each day. Since it is the 14th, we did 14 burpees this morning. Despite the fact that my husband refers to my hop at the end as "cute," I have noticed that in my short time doing this that my quads are showing signs of definition, my butt jiggles only when I tell it to shimmy, and I can get to 10 without fatigue. Consequently, I am getting stronger, firmer and I made burpees my bitches in the woods.

I also remembered one of the reasons why I am able to do these fitness contrivances of evil. It's been 6 years since we quit smoking
bikechatforums
According to this, our stroke risk is the same as non-smokers now.

While we camped, we were treated to the visits of several birds including a mallard who just decided to drop in the little pool by our tent for a quick swim before bouncing along downstream. We had woodpeckers, finches, sparrows, a hummingbird, and I heard an owl as we adjourned to the tent the first night. The owl granted us a delightful serenade as we drifted off to sleep. How fortunate we were.

We got to read a lot, too. I haven't been able to read much since our last excursion, so it was refreshing to make some camping coffee and read while it brewed before the burpee madness.

I didn't miss my computer at all. I wonder how I will be able to adjust to my day job and my two side gigs once the end of August rolls around. I have instituted my morning yoga and meditation time again. My lower back and hip flexors were tightening up from sitting at the computer. I need to stretch my muscles and quiet my mind if I am going to survive the transition. I'm not being hyperbolic. Thinking about going back to my day job keeps my mind roaring in sleepless turmoil. I did some training this week and at night I feel all anxious thinking about returning. It doesn't help that already things regarding my job are a mess and unresolved. I had hoped for a better start, but things are just as frelled. 
zazzle.com
Way.

So for now, I cling to my good stuff like being smoke free for 6 years, living in a state with countless beauty, reading epic fantasy novels, and dancing. Speaking of, I have a performance tonight. I should probably do a little prep work on that.
zahras.com
 1 1 123 1 123 12

No comments:

Post a Comment