Sunday, June 4, 2017

Class of 2017

It's June. I have a precious few days left to our regularly scheduled school year. Finals start tomorrow. The weather will be gorgeous this week. I hope that I am able to keep a lid on things to get through these next four days. The unity of teachers banded together in order to confront the last week of school with fun, discipline, and recognition of growth over the last nine months is palpable.
Image result for jumping goat
Kids on the last day of school. (See what I did there?)

Even though we, like our students, are chomping at the bit to be released from the regimented school bells, this time of year is always difficult for teachers. We have a ton of papers and tests to grade. We have to pack up our rooms. We face students whose minds are elsewhere, and whose behavior shows their restlessness. For some, anxiety about being out of the structure of the school year complicates their enjoyment and anticipation. Through it all though, we cling to certain memories as we prepare to put another year behind us.
Make no mistake, Andrew. I'll still be doing this dance on Thursday.

For me, this year ends somewhat bittersweet. When you teach seniors in high school, their last day holds the potential for smeared mascara and raucous laughter. We discuss what they've learned, where they're going, and what they'll miss. We sign yearbooks and take pictures. This year's picture with seniors had the tallest young man resting his arm on my head. I'm a perfectly respectable 5' 6" mind you, but he's like 6' 4-5". Still and all, I shall cherish that photo. I absolutely love teaching senior English. I was sniffly all morning and saying goodbye as they strolled out the door made my eyes all bleary and watery. I am thankful I got to know each and every one of them.
My inner toddler was on overload with the all the feels.

Before their graduation rehearsal the next morning, some of them came to visit in their caps and gowns. They were killing time before their 9am call, but they chose to come see me one more time. For that I am grateful. Being a teacher has few perks, but students who want to come see you when technically they are free from obligation to sit in your room anymore is meaningful. I am thankful they chose to share those last few minutes with me.
That's right, Linda. Do a little happy dance. I did.

Last night was commencement. At my high school, staff attendance is optional. At my previous high school it was mandatory. This school though lacks a roomy field house like my previous school. Since the arena is more confined, not all faculty and staff fit with the stage, the band, and of course, the graduates. Last year my husband and I had tickets to see The Cure, so I didn't attend the ceremony. This year, I wanted to go. My relationship to these young people is dear to me, and I wanted to see them walk the stage and shift their tassels to the right. As stifling as I knew it would be, I wanted to go for them. Despite knowing that being required to wear our regalia of black gowns, stoles, and hoods would add to the sweaty experience, I need to be there. I am thankful I had the chance to cheer for each of my seniors.
Ok, so maybe not as happy as a cat with ribbon on Christmas, but close.

After the ceremony, one of my seniors gave me a huge and excited hug before exiting the arena. As I walked up the stairs and around the railing to the outdoors, another senior caught me. I always appreciated this young man's insights and observations about our literature. He didn't really like Handmaid's Tale at first, but as we continued, he began to feel the weight of the novel's implication. He also was enthusiastic to watch the adaptation on Hulu and visit with me about the series. Last night though, he said something to me that touched me deeply. He said, "Thank you Ms. M. I'm here in large part because of you." I was speechless, astonished, and moved to the tears I'd been holding back. He probably has no idea how meaningful that simple statement was. I am thankful for these moments and those yet to come.
Image result for Maine moose
Until we meet again, Moose. 


No comments:

Post a Comment