Monday, January 15, 2018

Side Effects be Damned!

When I first heard that there was finally a medication approved specifically to treat lupus, I was so excited. Finally, all that awareness and lobbying was paying off. My first few treatments were rough, but I was assured that it'd get better. It did. I just felt a bit fluish afterward. A bit of headache that was stopped with a triptan. My relief eventually gave way to doubt as the months wore on, however.
Image result for goat
Best be alert! Right, Goat?

It boggles my mind that a medication for lupus would have a 5% occurrence of increased migraine activity. Migraine is a common complaint among lupus sufferers. As someone who already had migraines, I was hoping that the side effect was a low enough incidence that I would escape unscathed.
hillary clinton no GIF
You got it, Hillary. It was not to be just like your presidency. 
Sorry about that, BTW. You were robbed.

Since the start of January, I have had 14 of 15 days with headache. Not just headache mind you. For the last four days, I have had a stabbing in my left eye. There was the teary, bleary eyes and runny nose, too. The pain was worse when I got up to get water or go to the bathroom. Ice packs only helped until they melted. Heat pads felt great, but were only moderately helpful. A warm shower felt delightful, but I felt guilty about draining the whole water tank. My TENS unit was the biggest relief. My triptans ran out. The extra samples from my doctor ran out. I was well-hydrated as my pinch test proved. I had eaten, although my appetite was significantly decreased. I just got disinterested in eating after a while. Rather ruins a three-day weekend.
Animated GIF
You're not wrong there, Dean.

Anyway, my neurologist got me approved for Botox treatment. I was surprised to see the low numbers for success. It reduces pain days by only 2 days a month when compared to regular treatments (Topamax or Depakote etc.)  or placebo according to a study review by The Journal of the American Medical Association. Side note: headache and migraine are listed as Botox side effects. You can also become immune to Botox. Yeah. That's a thing. WTF? So Botox could reduce my 14 days so far this month to 12? The month isn't done and I am full of trepidation about this new horizon of medication. Even if they decrease, it might not last as is the case with a lot of meds I've tried. Consequently, I contacted my rheumatologist via the Patient Portal. If it is Benlysta, then maybe the side effects outweigh the benefits at this point.
alyson hannigan help GIF
I feel ya, Willow.

Since today was a holiday, I didn't think I'd hear back from her until tomorrow, but she wrote almost immediately. She said to DC the Benlysta for now. I see her in February. Until then, no Benlysta. When I go see her, we'll talk about a few other choices. Those choices include Methotrexate, prednisone, Imuran, and CellCept. *sigh* I guess I have some investigating to do.
frustrated the x files GIF
Here we go again, Scully.

Today was my first day since the 2nd without waking with a headache. I was ecstatic. I got so much done today. I was smiling; I was laughing; I had sex with my husband; I left the house! All these things that people take for granted, I was actually able to do today. The sun is starting to set, and I am feeling the head start to get fussy. A little unsteadiness along with some yawning and a bit of eye squeezy.
Image result for moose water
You heard me, Moose. 
Here comes the pain again.

No comments:

Post a Comment