Monday, April 2, 2018

This Week I Learned

My husband spends a lot of time on Reddit. He prefers it to any other social media. I've perused it and I do have an account. I enjoyed a few AMA (ask me anything) threads. I love their puns list. I also enjoy the Today I Learned threads. As a teacher, I think identifying those little tidbits of learning are important throughout life. So, I have opted to use the Reddit idea for this week's post: This Week I Learned (TWIL).
Image result for goat
Yes, Goat. Sit in quiet contemplation of all you've learned this week.

Don't trust the bra size "helpers" online.
I needed a new bra. My old one wasn't the greatest fit, so I consulted the internet for a measurement guide. According to the guide, I needed a 32DD. A what? Yes, a 32DD. I was immediately skeptical and asked my husband to check my measurement. Yup. I got it right. For shits and giggles, I tried the only 32DD I could find at the store. Low and behold, the band was good, but holy dear gods! My breasts would not be contained. 
 Oh Sir Patrick. You're so British in your understated assessment.

Nursing bras are the best-fitting and supportive bras ever.
I discovered this by accident when I had to find a bra the old-fashioned way. I just picked up a racer back bra that looked like it was well-supported and padded enough to hide the GASP! Nipping out phenomenon. Once I figured out how to put the damned thing on, I was astonished to discover what hoards of pregnant women probably already know. These bras are amazing. No lie. I bought a nursing bra. I love it and make no apologies.
Yeah, you knew about it and didn't tell me, Linda. Kept that to yourself you did.

We're just living House of Cards season 4.
Honestly, when the story about Cambridge Analytica dropped, the first thing I thought of was House of Cards. They did a whole story line about data mining and manipulating search engine results to win an election. This may be a chicken and egg thing, but how surreal is it to recognize a fictional plot in real life? At least Law and Order ripped their stories from headlines, not the other way around. I was not surprised that social media was manipulated. Anyone who was surprised clearly hasn't been paying attention.
robin wright GIF
Oh Buttercup. What do you have planned next?

Life with less Facebook is pleasant.
I finally took the plunge and did what I had been thinking about for a long time: I deleted Facebook from my phone. I didn't ever have messenger, so I was not missing out on much there. However, I did check FB on my phone quite a lot. I had already started limiting my FB engagement after the New Year, so this was a logical next step. It was odd to get used to, but I must say I like the reduced access. I'm also very thankful I never started a Twitter account.
Yup. Like that, Bilbo. 

Life with less beer is ok, too.
I thought it'd be harder. I was wrong. I would like one on Friday nights, but I have found some delightful orange spiced tea from Seattle that makes fantastic fridge tea. 
Well, maybe if you asked, Helen. I couldn't resist a pint with you. 

My mom thinks honey might help my migraines.
I know she's doing this out of love, and I appreciate her concern and Dr. Google skills. However, honey is not a proven strategy for migraines. If a spoonful of honey worked, I'd be thrilled. It's not that easy. Ever. At all.
It only works in the movies. 

There are four species of moose.
I adore moose. I think they are goofy, temperamental, elusive, and fantastic beasts. I knew that the moose in Vermont and the moose in Montana and the moose in Alaska all seemed a bit different in appearance, but I figured that they might appear different because of the geography. Alaska is less populated and therefore animals can grow larger; thus leading to HUGE MOOSE! But it's actually four different species in North America. I'm particularly fond of the ones that look like they have mustaches.
Wrong moose, Sam. But your lips work, too.

People who think unions protect bad teachers are wrong.
The folks who consider themselves fiscally conservative and pro right-to-work like to spout how unions protect bad teachers. Uggh! They misunderstand the point of unions and tenure. With the teachers striking in Oklahoma, I've heard this anthem a lot again. First, tenure is not easy to earn. Second, if you totally screw up and break the rules, the union will not protect you. For example during the student walk out for gun regulations, we were told that as teachers, we could not legally walk out. If we chose to walk out, the union could not and would not protect us from repercussions. Also, I've known six teachers who were fired in my district alone, one of whom lost her position just this week. They had tenure, but they screwed up and did not have their contracts renewed. It happens. The difference is, the districts need cause to fire. Unions also ensure that teachers who are struggling face mediation first; this is where teachers and administrators work together to improve the teacher's performance. Whereas with right to work, they don't have to do anything. If the district is facing a financial shortfall, they can fire teachers who are higher up the pay scale in order to save money if there's no union to argue it. That means the more experienced and effective teachers could be fired. Unions are good things. People who think otherwise can piss off.
'nuff said.

People who say money isn't the issue with schools are wrong.
In any business, lack of funds means lack of quality and lack of survival. My district is facing yet another financial crisis and is therefore running a levy. Even if this levy passes, the district will still be short over 200K. We've been operating below budget for several years. Last year, the district reduced teaching staff by 22. We'll have to reduce staff by that much again. We've cut 80 teaching positions since 2007 as well as administrative, janitorial, and counseling positions. We need to maintain a certain level and positions in areas including librarians and administrators in order to meet accreditation standards. Reducing staff means loss of programs and loss of support for students. People say that trades jobs are necessary right now. However, with a reduction in staff, those programs like our successful automotive, welding, and construction certification training will be cut. That's just one example. The levy is less than 20 dollars a year for the average home value in this city of 150K. That's about the cost of a pizza. Learning all these facts and figures was brutal. And  yet, the levy is  likely going to fail. Our district used to be glorious in its achievements, fiscally responsible practices, and commitment to providing the best possible education to the student who rely on us. However, with these continued budget cuts, we will end up like those schools in Oklahoma that have broken chairs, peeling paint, lack of textbooks, and water damaged walls. My sister's building has a water damaged roof that has a tarp and a hose running into a bucket...in the cafeteria. Money is also needed to meet the emotional well-being of students. Counselors, therapists, and mentors are all on the chopping block. Like it or not, money is an issue and denying that is only hurting the students.
Oh! That's right. They're all broken and you have to sit on the floor, which is dirty because we don't have custodians any longer; it's also broken and cracked because we can't repair it. And there aren't any rugs or cushions because your teacher can't afford to supply yet another item for your education.

I can't support Tom's of Maine any longer.
Tom's of Maine runs their business as one in the same to a ministry, so I need to find another brand of preservative free toothpaste. I need to find another anti-antiperspirant, too. While people are free to run their business as they see fit, that doesn't mean I have to support them by buying their products. When I learn about religious affiliations like this one, I just can't give my money over. They follow their conscience; I follow mine.
What brand do you use, Meryl?

I don't always enjoy the things I learn, but life is all about learning. Learn. Make choices and decisions based on that learning. Keep seeking out new things to learn. There's so much out there; some of it is little, some of it blows your mind. Taking time out to reflect on all your learning makes you realize just how much you didn't really know in the first place. And that is humbling.
Seriously. Four species of moose. That's amazeballs.
So are the mustaches.
(photo from Northwest Trek Wildlife Park)




No comments:

Post a Comment