Saturday, January 7, 2012

If Nancy Drew and Thoreau Had a Baby What Would Happen?

Have you ever been startled by how wondrous the full moonlight is while walking or driving home from some mundane activity like grocery shopping?

Have you ever watched a thunderstorm with awe over the force of nature?

Have you been walking through the woods on a summer day and come across a grove of trees bathed in the light and felt your breath catch?

Ever watched an infant hold an object he or she hadn’t seen before and try to make sense of it?

Congratulations. You’ve experienced a Wiccan mystery.

Now, can you appreciate these wonders without subscribing to paganism?  Sure—what you call it is up to you.  For me, it is the most explicit expression of the Goddess and the God I know. 

I have read articles and books on the Wiccan mysteries and the only way I can define it for myself is to get out and live among it.  Allow it to surround me and live in me.  Be open to it when it presents itself.

Cunningham writes:

Don’t just watch these things, experience them.  Feel them.  Then you’ll have begun to draw the Wiccan mysteries closer to you.  You’ll have the rare opportunity to fleetingly draw back the veil we’ve thrown over our world and see the face of the Goddess.

How fantastic is that?  To simply observe and feel the love and peace move through you in that sliver of a moment?  To shrug off everything else and experience the infinite in a tear drop.  To find a stillness and allow yourself to be moved by the common.  To feel such utter hope and love that you cry for reasons you don't fully comprehend.  To be captured by the beauty and the calm of the ordinary. 

Mystery indeed.

2 comments:

  1. I remember being on a float trip with my church youth group and marveling at the sunlight on the water, the mountains and different characteristics of the river, thinking that I felt more in tune with God in nature, alone, just thinking, than I ever felt in church. Same thing for retreats in the mountains with snow everywhere and utter silence. Love this post. Thank you for sharing this with us.
    P.S. Love the title

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks;) I can't fathom how a person can't feel moved to absolute wonder at the beauty of such a vision, Sammish.

    ReplyDelete