Friday, January 6, 2012

This Religion Is Just Right or Goldilox Makes Up Her Mind

Think of this idea of initiation like baptism/confirmation or speaking vows during a wedding.  Essentially an initiation is dedicating yourself to Wicca.  In covens, it’s a big dang deal.  For solitary folks, initiation is a little more subdued maybe, but still a big dang deal.   Whichever way you cut it though, initiation makes it sound like some sort of gang rite of passage to me.  Dedication has a better connotation, but personal word choice aside, Cunningham does an excellent job outlining the purpose and procedure for the rite.  He also addresses points of criticism from other Wiccans who don’t agree with his point that a solitary can self-initiate. 
                Why do one at all you ask?—well because it is a public pronouncement that you are accepting this path and committing yourself to follow its tenets.  For a solitary, it can be a deeply personal act.  Part of why I like this path is because there is not a middle man.  No priest to absolve me, no minister to oversee my progress, no high priestess to bless me—it’s all on my shoulders and between me and whatever deity I choose to address myself to.  I love that aspect.  It is a far more intimate relationship this way.  That’s not to say I never feel the need to talk with other pagans.  Far from it!  However, I do feel that when it comes to ritual or initiation, it is a deeply personal act.  If I don’t feel the need to share it with anyone—why should I?  If I don’t feel it is necessary at all, why should I submit to it?  If the answer is because “that’s just the way it’s done,” tough!  Does an initiation ritual give you an anniversary date?  Sure.  Does it give you a new outlook on the path?  Yup.  Does it feel good to symbolically shed the old self and start anew?  Absolutely!  I like what Cunningham says about how an initiation is not necessarily something someone does to another person and that it can happen spontaneously within ritual too.
                I did a whole week’s worth of preparation years ago.  Another author I was reading, Fiona Horne, included a chapter in one of her books about 7 Days to a Magical New You or something like that.  So over holiday break from work I did the recommended activities and rituals.  It was cleansing and specific and rejuvenating to participate in a week long dedication.  I think I gained more during that self-reflection and repeated ritual performance than I would have from having a high whoever say something over my head while waving a wand or a sword.  That’s not to say everyone will respond that way, but rather just because it is different and solitary doesn’t make it wrong. 
                Cunningham’s advice to practice and gain experience in ritual work is beneficial.  I think this because the more adept you are at the mechanics ahead of time, the easier the actual dedication will be.  You will be freer to concentrate on your purpose than on whether or not you called the quarters in the right order.  I believe that practice makes perfect!  Experience also affords you to the chance to build your psychic ability to connect to the energies you are seeking.  For example—it takes a lot of practice to meditate effectively.  To calm your mind and get in the right place mentally so you can form that circle and visualize your objective or send energy out of yourself takes practice!  Lastly, spending the time to prepare also allows you to determine if you really feel “right” in the commitment.  This element was missing when I participated in a dedication ceremony at a Methodist church.  I loved the people I met at that church and I loved singing in the choir and I thought at that time Methodist was the best fit for me after realizing Catholicism wasn’t.  However, I didn’t really put enough thought into it.  I allowed myself to be pushed through the process again just like I had before.  Once I really began reflecting on what all Methodism had to offer, I realized that it wasn’t the right fit yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment