Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Spell Costs Less Mana Than Your Spell

SC takes a chapter to define solitary Wiccan magic.  It’s really not all that different from a coven’s methods.  Solitaries do the same thing—cast circle, raise energy, send it out—just, we do it on our own.  He breaks the chapter into little subheadings and we’ll tackle each one .
The first topic is the circle.  I highlighted the section on giving your circle a white glove test.  I have to say that you can definitely feel the difference between a sloppy circle and a strong circle.  It’s hard to describe, but when I’ve really cast a successful circle I feel a shift.  It’s like I don’t really notice I am in my basement any longer.  The cat boxes don’t exist.  The stray toilet on the east wall isn’t there.  The laundry begging for a wash disappears.  It’s just me and maybe a cat or three and everything else is a little fuzzed out.  It’s a really unique experience.  I have found that the more time I take with meditating and breathing before attempting to cast circle, the better off my circle shall be.  If you don’t know, the circle is the sacred space within which a Wiccan works magic, prays, celebrates holy days etc. 
Raising energy within the circle focuses the next section of the chapter.  I touched on SC’s suggestions briefly in the last posting, but it’s worth addressing here.  The chanting idea is a good one and I have found it effective.  Although, you need to be mindful—if you’re alone in the house no biggie.  However, if there’s someone else in the house, you might not want to chant faster and faster and faster and louder and louder and louder to raise energy in case you frighten the poor soul.  Obviously, in an apartment this would also be a less than ideal way to raise energy.  Try it.  If you can, try it.  You need to find what way works best for you.  The muscle tension method is another great way to raise energy and requires little auditory output.  You can combine the muscle with the chanting if you want, but used by itself especially for abbreviated rites or bare bones rites, it was sufficient to increase the tension in my muscles until I had to let it go.  When I combined muscle tension with breathing I got the best results.  Breathing techniques are helpful in a myriad of ways.  I found that the slow in through the nose and slow out through the mouth was quite calming.  I would increase the number of counts I took to breathe in and out each time.  As I breathed in I would visualize good and positive energy coming into my body and then breathing out was of course the opposite.  Then once I felt a charge within me, I added the tension.  I tightened to about 50% when breathing in and held that tension when I exhaled.  Next inhale was tension to 75% and the last was as tight as I could before releasing the energy and sending it to its purpose.  Some Wiccans dance; I’ve never tried.  I guess I found a solid method and I stuck with it.  Maybe somewhere down the line I will dance and see what happens.
Sending the energy out toward its purpose is part that I really like.  I have a rather well-developed ability to visualize, which is extremely helpful  when releasing energy.  Some Wiccans like to use the athame to direct energy, some a wand, but I prefer just my hand.  When I really feel that the energy has really built enough releasing it through my hand is rather tingly.  My whole arm will be fatigued from the exertion.  Now I realize that those responses are physical results of all the tension and someone who doesn’t get into the magic or religious aspects would poo-poo it as simple physiological response.  Absolutely.  Doesn’t matter what you call it, it’s releasing energy and that much energy being released will produce physical reaction.
SC concludes by addressing a criticism of solitary Wicca.  Some say that a coven is better because the other members serve to protect the members from attempting any negative magic.  Maybe—if one member asks others to participate.  It’s still possible he/she would maybe do a circle alone because the coven would be opposed.  Furthermore, as SC points out, a moral person is a moral person.  Bottom line: either you accept and practice “harm none” or you don’t; solitary or coven doesn’t matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment