Saturday, January 5, 2013

In-House Matinee


Today I did something great.

OK.  I did a lot of “great” things like finding a way to get all of the ornaments off the tree and back into the same number of storage bins, a couple loads of laundry, some dishes, brushing Poofus without losing some flesh…see?  A lot of great things.  The greatest though?  Taking 90 minutes of the day to sit on the sofa and watch Princess Bride from start to finish.  No reason why other than the impulse hit and I kept snickering at all the great quotations that PB fans all say back and forth to one another like:

            “Have fun stormin’ the castle!”
“There’s a shortage of perfect breasts in the world.  It’d be a shame to damage yours.”
“Inconceivable!”
“As you wish.”

I could go on.
            “Anybody want a peanut?”
Sorry. 

Anyway, this film is a classic!  It gave Robin Wright her start before that soap opera “Santa Barbara” and before Sean Penn.
It brought Columbo out for a new generation to take note.
It shows Fred Savage in his pinchable-cheek youth.
It gave us memes to cover our social network walls.
 I have picture of my husband in this costume from a wedding he officiated for a lovely young couple.

It gave us the all time greatest sword fight scene.
I saw an interview about this sequence.  They practiced during breaks and finally showed Rob Reiner the 3 minutes they came up with.  He said, "That's it?" They beat the longest ever filmed sword fight as a result, but as you see here, the final cut was only...3 minutes!

 It gave us romance, revenge, monsters, and miracles. 
It gives us a smile every time we watch it.  Therefore, I simply said to my husband that I wanted to watch it. 
And we did.
And we laughed.  We said lines along with it. We sang “Storybook Love” along karaoke style at the end. 

 Thank you Mark Knopfler.  Who knew that voice matched this image?  Great name Willy DeVille.  

Sometimes a little time out for a classic movie that you adore just completes an afternoon.  It certainly kept my spirits high on this gorgeous, sunny, January Saturday.  I've watched this movie countless times, and I will watch it many more.  I smile every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment