Friday, January 4, 2013

TGIFB

Thank the gods it's Friday beer!
That's right.  Today's post is about that first hoppy slurp of a delicious beer that heralds in the weekend.  Today's beer is Jubeale: a festive winter ale.  How lovely is that?
My brother in law also makes his own beer.  I am positively giddy that he will offer up some of his tasty stash tonight.  It wasn't quite ready for New Year's, but he thought perhaps it'd be good to go this weekend.  Here's crossing fingers and toes.
In college, we were poor as so many students are.  We also spent a lot of free money on alcohol.  Also a common trait of college students who just recently turned 21 are prone to do.  In college, we bought beer by the suitcase.  Keystone became our favorite because it was so stinkin' cheap.  Tasted..well...like bitter water honestly.  We could afford it though, so it became a staple for weekends.
Thankfully, I stopped drinking that *ahem brew because a doctor told me I was probably allergic to it. NOOOOOOOOO!
I of course then joined the Big Sky Hash House Harriers and quickly returned to imbibing beer of a much higher quality.

Please note that my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek.  Miller Lite is a step up from Keystone...if you trip and fall back down again.

If you don't know what the Hash House Harriers are, Google it people.  Think--drinking club with a running problem.  Essentially it was a lot like a fraternity of people who enjoyed beer, running (I walked because nothing is worse than running when it comes to exercise), and violating just about every politically correct behavior known in society.  We drank a lot of beer.  We sang a lot of inappropriate and mostly sexual in connotation songs.  We ate a lot of pizza and BBQ and burgers.  We had a lot of fun.  Great people, great times.  Alas!  Many of them moved on as those of the military must from time to time.  However, I still adore each and every member of that club.  I simply cannot enjoy a beer without smiling about those times.  So many wonderful people and so much beer!
Anyway, I will leave you with our blessing prayer:

Our lager,
Which art in barrels,
Hallowed be thy drink.
Thy will be drunk, (I will be drunk),
At home as it is in the tavern.
Give us this day our foamy head, 
(BSHHH, you know what to do here.)
And forgive us our spillages,
As we forgive those who spill against 
us.
And lead us not to incarceration,
But deliver us from hangovers.
For thine is the beer, the bitter, and 
the lager.

Barmen



No comments:

Post a Comment